Sunday, May 15, 2011

PE2_iMovie


After completing the remainder of Lynda.com's iMovie'11 Essential Training Videos, I discovered many new features to add to my future video creations. The most important tool I discovered was the application of adding sound in multiple tracks while manipulating sound, quality and clarity. I created a simple 1 minute video from photos I had in iPhoto.





The instructor, Darrick Chow suggested to spend some time organizing your photos by naming and tagging them as to the type of footage for a more organized story board.  When creating new projects you can simply place the image in any sequence according to your story board format. Another tool tip Darrick further explored was "slip editing" and using the clip trimmer. I was impressed that slip editing allowed me to keep the tempo of my project aligned to music or theme and did not throw off the timing.
The Ken Burns effect enabled a still image to appear to have motion, by moving it from one point on the still to another point in the same still. Here is an image to illustrate this process.

Text is one feature that is limited in iMovie, and Darrick Chow explains that the font panel doesn't always let you use a font in your library. Something to keep in mind if you want to get fancy but find yourself limited. 

I find iMovie to be a brilliant and simple program to facilitate great movies in no time at all. I am excited to paint a wall blue or green, or maybe just buy a piece of fabric to create the same effect and produce background manipulated videos. Just like a news reporter on the weather channel. 

1 comment:

  1. I'm really impressed by the stunning photography you share in your video. Since I'm always thinking the technical side, I was wondering if you had added glow and a vignette to the photos in post-production, or if you are that masterful with a good camera and a beautiful sunset. Either way, the visuals are amazing, great project! You've created a gorgeous family keepsake that I'm sure you'll look back at and cherish.

    ReplyDelete